Acentrella nadineae McCafferty, Waltz, & Webb, 2009 is broadly distributed in cool, clean, swift rocky streams across parts of the southeast, northeast, and midwestern United States, but currently its adult stages are unknown. The difficulty associated with successfully rearing nymphs of Acentrella species is mostly responsible for our lack of knowledge of adult life stages. New field observations of A. nadineae nymphs from the Hubbard River, Massachusetts, USA were used to modify an already successful rearing system for baetid nymphs to obtain a reared series of male and female imagos for study. Both life stages were photographed alive and are described herein for the first time. In addition, details of the modified rearing system and notes on the unusual madicolous behavior of near final instar nymphs are presented.
- Alba-Tercedor, J. & McCafferty, W.P. (2000) Acentrella feropagus, new species (Ephemeroptera: Baetidae): formal new name for North American A. lapponica sensu Morihara and McCafferty. Entomological News, 111, 137–39.
- Burian, S.K. & Meyers, L.W. (2011) A new species of Acentrella Bengtsson (Ephemeroptera: Baetidae) from New York and New England (USA), redescription of the nymph of A. parvula (McDunnough), and key to known adult males of Nearctic Acentrella. Aquatic Insects, 33, 305–334. https://doi.org/10.1080/01650424.2011.639305
- Hubbard, M.D. (1995) Towards a standard methodology for the description of mayflies (Ephemeroptera). In: Corkum, L.D. & Ciborowski, J.H. (Eds.), Current Directions in Research on Ephemeroptera. Canadian Scholars’ Press Inc., Toronto, pp. 361–369.
- Kluge, N.J. (1994) Pterothoracic structure of mayflies (Ephemeroptera) and its use in systematics. Bulletin de la Société Entomologique de France, 99, 41–61. https://doi.org/10.3406/bsef.1994.17037
- McCafferty, W.P. (1996) The mayflies (Ephemeroptera) of North America online. Entomological News, 107: 61–63.
- Jacobus, L.M. & McCafferty, W.P. (2023) Mayfly Central. Available from: https://www.entm.purdue.edu/mayfly/index.php (accessed 28 February 2023)
- McCafferty, W.P., Waltz, R.D. & Webb, J.M. (2009) Acentrella nadineae, a new species of small minnow mayflies (Ephemeroptera: Baetidae). Proceedings of the Entomological Society of Washington, 111, 12–17. https://doi.org/10.4289/0013-8797-111.1.12
- Smithe, F.B. (1975) Naturalist’s Color Guide (Part 1). American Museum of Natural History, New York. 10 pp. + 17 Plates of Color Tiles.
- Webb, J.M. & Burian, S.K. (2017) Range extensions for recently described North American species of Acentrella Bengtsson (Insecta: Ephemeroptera). Check List 13 (3), 2132. https://doi.org/10.15560/13.3.2132