The oriental stick insect Paragongylopus Chen & He, 1997 is a small and poorly known genus, including 9 taxa distributed in China, Thailand and Vietnam. The male and egg of most species in this genus are still unknown. In this paper, two subgenera are re-defined with three new combinations: P. (Planoparagongylopus) brevicornis (Ho, 2019) comb. nov., P. (Planoparagongylopus) obtusidentatus (Ho, 2019) comb. nov., P. (Planoparagongylopus) plaumanni (Zompro, 2000) comb. nov. The male of P. (Paragongylopus) sinensis pingbianensis and the male and egg of P. (Planoaragongylopus) obtusidentatus comb. nov. are described for the first time. Photos of P. (Paragongylopus) sinensis sinensis holotype are given with a remark of its identification with another subspecies. P. (Planoparagongylopus) abramovi is firstly recorded from Yunnan Province of China, and it documents that all species of this genus are distributed in China. A key to identifying two subgenera and a distribution map of this genus from Yunnan and the surrounding area are provided as well.
- Brock P. D., Büscher T. & Baker E. 2022. Phasmida Species File Online. Version 5.0/5.0. [29 July 2022]. [http://Phasmida.SpeciesFile.org]
- Chen S. C. & He Y. H. 1997. A new genus and new species of Heteronemiidae from Guangxi, China (Phasmatodea: Heteronemiidae). Acta Entomologica Sinica 40: 297–299.
- Chen S. C. & He Y. H. 2008. Phasmatodea of China. China Forestry Publishing House, Beijing, China. 476 pp. [in Chinese]
- Clark-Sellick J. T. 1997. Descriptive terminology of the phasmid egg capsule, with an extended key to the phasmid genera based on egg structure. Systematic Entomology 22: 97–122.http s://doi.org/10.1046/j.1365-3113.1997.d01-30.x
- Hennemann F. H., Conle O. V. & Zhang W. W. 2008. Catalogue of the Stick and Leaf-insects (Phasmatodea) of China, with a faunistic analysis, review of recent ecological and biological studies and bibliography (Insecta: Orthoptera: Phasmatodea). Zootaxa 1735(1): 1–77. https://doi.org/10.11646/zootaxa.1735.1.1
- Ho G. W. C. 2014. On the discovery of male Paragongylopus sinensis Chen & He, 1997 and the first report of Paragongylopus plaumanni Zompro, 2000 from China (Phasmida: Diapheromeridae: Pachymorphinae: Gratidiini). Hong Kong Entomological Bulletin 6: 12–16.
- Ho G. W. C. 2017. Contribution to the knowledge of Oriental Phasmatodea II: A taxonomic study of the genus Paragongylopus (Phasmatodea: Pachymorphinae: Gratidiini). Journal of Orthoptera Research 26: 195–203. https://doi.org/10.3897/jor.26.15291
- Ho G. W. C. 2019. Two new species of the genus Paragongylopus Chen & He, 1997 (Phasmida: Diapheromeridae: Pachymorphinae) from China. Hong Kong Entomological Bulletin 11: 3–8.
- Shorthouse D. P. 2010. SimpleMappr, an online tool to produce publication-quality point maps. http://www.simplemappr.net (accessed 15 February 2022).
- Zompro O. 2000. Neue Stabschrecken aus Thailand (Insecta: Phasmatodea). TenDenZen Supplement, 1999, Ubersee-Museum Bremen, S: 49–60.
- Zompro O. 2009. Paragongylopus plaumanni Zompro, 2000 – eine der merkwürdigsten Phasmiden. Arthropoda 17: 20–21.