Check list of seventy-eight species of jewel beetles (Coleoptera: Buprestidae) belonging to 21 genera of 12 tribes in five subfamilies, recorded from the Turkish part of Aras River valley is presented. Compared with the fauna of adjacent areas of Armenia and Nakhichevan (Azerbaijan), the diversity of jewel beetles is significantly impoverished what is resulted from strong anthropogenic impact. Aras valley jewel beetles are rather poorly known and that may also explain a relatively small number of species in the area. The core of the buprestid fauna of the Turkish part of Aras valley is mainly formed by Irano-Turanian (including nine endemic or subendemic Kuro-Araxian species), Irano-Turanian–East-Mediterranean, and European-Mediterranean elements with insignificant participation of Transpalaearctic, West Palaearctic and European elements. Based on the distributional patterns of buprestid species, it can be concluded that the border between Kura-Araxian and Front-Asian provinces of Irano-Turanian subregion in the Aras valley passes between the town of Kağızman and Karakurt village in Kars province, up to 1400–1500 m altitude. Some unique habitats, such as the Calligonum polygonoides L. dominated sandy desert at the foot of the Ağrı Dağı Mts in the vicinity of Aralık town, should be taken under state protection.
- Aras (river). 2023. Available from: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aras_(river) (Accessed 28 Feb. 2023).
- Emeljanov A.F. 1974. Proposals on the classification and nomenclature of ranges. Entomologicheskoe Obozrenie 53 (3): 497–522. (In Russian)
- Korotyaev B. A., Gültekin L., Volkovitsh M. G., Dorofeyev V. I. & Konstantinov A. S. 2016. Bioindicator beetles and plants in desertified and eroded lands in Turkey. Journal of Insect Biodiversity 4(1): 1–47. https://doi.org/10.12976/jib/2016.4.1
- Krivokhatsky V.A. & Emeljanov A.F. 2000. Usage of the general zoogeographic subdivisions for particular zoogeographic researches examplified by the Palaearctic fauna of antlions (Neuroptera, Myrmeleontidae). Entomologicheskoe Obozrenie 79(3): 557–578. (In Russian)
- Niehuis M. 1989. Contribution to the knowledge of the Jewel Beetles (Coleoptera: Buprestidae) in the Near East. Zoology in the Middle East 3: 73–110. https://doi.org/10.1080/09397140.1989.10637577
- Richter A.A. 1952. Jewel Beetles (Buprestidae), Part 4. Fauna of the USSR, Insecta Coleoptera, vol. 13, iss. 4, 237 pp. (In Russian)
- Tozlu G. 2002a. Anthaxia lgockii lgockii Obenberger, 1917 (Coleoptera: Buprestidae), new for the Turkish fauna, and new lokalities for some species of this subgenus. Zoology in the Middle East 25: 99–104. (In Turkish) https://doi.org/10.1080/09397140.2002.10637910
- Tozlu G. 2002b. Buprestidae Collection of The Entomology Museum Erzurum, Turkey (EMET) (Coleoptera, Buprestidae), Jewel Beetles 11: 13–22.
- Tozlu G. & Özbek H. 2000a. Faunistic and taxonomic studies on the family Buprestidae (Coleoptera) in Erzurum, Erzincan, Artvin and Kars provinces I. Acmaeoderinae, Polycestinae and Buprestinae. Turkish Journal of Zoology 24, Supplement: 51–78. (In Turkish)
- Tozlu G. & Özbek H. 2000b. Faunistic and Taxonomic Studies on the Family Buprestidae (Coleoptera) in Erzurum, Erzincan, Artvin and Kars Provinces II. Sphenoptarinae, Chalcophorinae, Chrysobothrinae, Agrilinae, Cylindromorphinae and Trachyinae. Turkish Journal of Zoology 24: Supplement: 79–103. (In Turkish)