In 1985, Carter and Cohen noted that there are several yet-to-be described species of Monomitopus (Ophidiidae), including one from Hawaiʻi. Recently, blackwater divers collected a larval fish off Kona, Hawaiʻi, similar to the previously described larvae of M. kumae, but DNA sequence data from the larva does not match any of the six previously sequenced species within the genus. Within the Smithsonian Institution’s National Museum of Natural History Ichthyology Collection, we find a single unidentified adult specimen of Monomitopus collected North of Maui, Hawaiʻi in 1972 whose fin-ray and vertebral/myomere counts overlap those of the larval specimen. We describe this new Hawaiian species of Monomitopus based on larval and adult characters. Additionally, blackwater photographs of several species of Monomitopus show the larvae coiled into a tight ball, a novel behavior to be observed in cusk-eels. We describe this behavior, highlighting the importance of blackwater photography in advancing our understanding of marine larval fish biology.
- Alcock, A.W. (1889) Natural history notes from H. M. Indian marine survey steamer `Investigator,’ Commander Alfred Carpenter, R. N., D. S. O., commanding–No. 13. On the bathybial fishes of the Bay of Bengal and neighbouring waters, obtained during the seasons 1885–1889. Annals and Magazine of Natural History, Series 6, 4 (23), 376–399. https://doi.org/10.1080/00222938909460547
- Alcock, A.W. (1890) Natural history notes from H. M. Indian marine survey steamer ‘Investigator,’ Commander R. F. Hoskyn, R. N., commanding–No. 18. On the bathybial fishes of the Arabian Sea, obtained during the season 1889–1890. Annals and Magazine of Natural History, Series 6, 6 (34), 295–311. https://doi.org/10.1080/00222939008694038
- Baldwin, C.C., Mounts, J.H., Smith, D.G. & Weigt, L.A. (2009) Genetic identification and color descriptions of early life-history stages of Belizean Phaeoptyx and Astrapogon (Teleostei: Apogonidae) with comments on identification of adult Phaeoptyx. Zootaxa, 2008 (1), 1–22. https://doi.org/10.11646/zootaxa.2008.1.1
- Carter, H.J. & Cohen, D.M. (1985) Monomitopus magnus, a new species of deep-sea fish (Ophidiidae) from the western north Atlantic. Bulletin of Marine Science, 36, 86–95.
- Chernomor, O., von Haeseler, A. & Minh, B.Q. (2016) Terrace aware data structure for phylogenomic inference from supermatrices. Systematic Biology, 65, 997–1008. https://doi.org/10.1093/sysbio/syw037
- Fahay, M.P. & Nielsen, J.G. (2003) Ontogenetic evidence supporting a relationship between Brotulotaenia and Lamprogrammus (Ophidiiformes: Ophidiidae) based on the morphology of exterilium and rubaniform larvae. Ichthyological Research, 50, 209–220. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10228-003-0159-5
- Fraser, T.H. & Smith, M.M. (1974) An exterilium larval fish from South Africa with comments on its classification. Copeia, 1974, 886–892. https://doi.org/10.2307/1442587
- Garman, S. (1899) The Fishes. In: Reports on an exploration off the west coasts of Mexico, Central and South America, and off the Galapagos Islands ... by the U. S. Fish Commission steamer “Albatross,” during 1891 Lieut. Commander Z.L. Tanner, U.S.N., commanding. No. XXVI. Memoirs of the Museum of Comparative Zoology, 24, pp. 1–431. https://doi.org/10.5962/bhl.part.27494
- Girard, M.G., Davis, M.P. & Smith, W.L. (2020) The phylogeny of carangiform fishes: morphological and genomic investigations of a new fish clade. Copeia, 108, 265–298. https://doi.org/10.1643/CI-19-320
- Girard, M.G., Mundy, B.C., Nonaka, A. & Johnson, G.D. (2023) Cusk-eel confusion: revisions of larval Luciobrotula and Pycnocraspedum and re-descriptions of two bythitid larvae (Ophidiiformes). Ichthyological Research, 70. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10228-023-00906-4
- Kalyaanamoorthy, S., Minh, B.Q., Wong, T.K.F., von Haeseler, A. & Jermiin, L.S. (2017) ModelFinder: fast model selection for accurate phylogenetic estimates. Nature Methods, 14, 587–589. https://doi.org/10.1038/nmeth.4285
- Katoh, K. & Standley, D.M. (2013) MAFFT multiple sequence alignment software version 7: improvements in performance and usability. Molecular Biology and Evolution, 30, 772–780. https://doi.org/10.1093/molbev/mst010
- Kearse, M., Moir, R., Wilson, A., Stones-Havas, S., Cheung, M., Sturrock, S., Buxton, S., Cooper, A., Markowitz, S., Duran, C., Thierer, T., Ashton, B., Meintjes, P. & Drummond, A. (2012) Geneious basic: an integrated and extend-able desktop software platform for the organization and analysis of sequence data. Bioinformatics, 28, 1647–1649. https://doi.org/10.1093/bioinformatics/bts199
- Miller, M.J. (2009) Ecology of anguilliform leptocephali: remarkable transparent fish larvae of the ocean surface layer. Aqua-bioscience Monographs, 2, 1–94.
- Miller, M.J., Norman, M.D., Tsukamoto, K. & Fin, J.K. (2013) Evidence of mimicry of gelatinous zooplankton by anguilliform leptocephali for predator avoidance. Marine and Freshwater Behaviour and Physiology, 45, 375–384. https://doi.org/10.1080/10236244.2013.773128
- Minh, B.Q., Schmidt, H.A., Chernomor, O., Schrempf, D., Woodhams, M.D., von Haeseler, A. & Lanfear, R. (2020) IQ-TREE 2: new models and efficient methods for phylogenetic inference in the genomic era. Molecular Biology and Evolution, 37, 1530–1534. https://doi.org/10.1093/molbev/msaa015
- Nielsen, J.G. (1971) Ergebnisse der Forschungsreisen des FFS ‘Walther Herwig’ nach Südamerika. XVI. Redescription of the genus Selachophidium (Pisces, Brotulidae) with two new species. Archiv für Fischereiwissenschaft, 22, 17–33.
- Nielsen, J.G., Cohen, D.M., Markle, D.F. & Robins, C.R. (1999) Ophidiiform fishes of the world (Order Ophidiiformes). FAO Species Catalog, 18, 1–178.
- NOAA Ocean Exploration (2016) Environmental data and products from NOAA Ocean Exploration’s EX1606: Deepwater Wonders of Wake 2016 expedition on NOAA Ship Okeanos Explorer. Video segments. NOAA National Centers for Environmental Information Project Datasets. Available from: https://www.ncei.noaa.gov/waf/okeanos-rov-cruises/ex1606/ (accessed 1 April 2023)
- NOAA Ocean Exploration (2017) Environmental data and products from NOAA Ocean Exploration’s EX1703: Exploring Remote Pacific Marine Protected Areas 2017 expedition on NOAA Ship Okeanos Explorer. Video segments. NOAA National Centers for Environmental Information Project Datasets. Available from: https://www.ncei.noaa.gov/waf/okeanos-rov-cruises/ex1703/ (accessed 1 April 2023).
- Nonaka, A., Milisen, J.W., Mundy, B.C. & Johnson, G.D. (2021) Blackwater diving: an exciting window into the planktonic arena and its potential to enhance the quality of larval fish collections. Ichthyology & Herpetology, 109, 138–156. https://doi.org/10.1643/i2019318
- Okiyama, M. (Ed.) (2014) An Atlas of Early Stage Fishes in Japan. 2nd Edition. Tokai University Press, Tokyo, 1154 pp.
- Pastana, M.N.L., Girard, M.G., Bartick, M.I. & Johnson, G.D. (2022) A novel association between larval and juvenile Erythrocles schlegelii (Teleostei Emmelichthyidae) and pelagic tunicates. Ichthyology & Herpetology, 110, 675–679. https://doi.org/10.1643/i2022008
- Ratnasingham, S. & Hebert, P.D. (2007) BOLD: The Barcode of Life Data System (www.barcodinglife.org). Molecular Ecology Notes, 7, 365–364. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1471-8286.2007.01678.x
- Sabaj, M.H. (2020) Codes for natural history collections in ichthyology and herpetology. Copeia, 108, 593–669. https://doi.org/10.1643/ASIHCODONS2020
- Weigt, L.A., Driskell, A.C., Baldwin, C.C. & Ormos, A. (2012) DNA barcoding fishes. In: Kress, W.J. & Erickson, D.L. (Eds.), DNA barcodes: Methods and Protocols. Humana Press, Totowa, New Jersey, pp. 109–126. https://doi.org/10.1007/978-1-61779-591-6_6